The end of every Summer, I stand in front of my wardrobe with one mission in mind – transition! It’s time to bid a fond farewell to my sundresses and shift my closet to Fall. I am never ready for this pivotal seasonal shift. It is much easier to transition from Spring to Summer. But Summer to Fall – that is a different story! Spring and summer style is light and flowy, strapless dresses, sexy heels, manicures and pedicures beaming bright island colors. But alas, August turns to September and by Labor Day out come the sweaters and boots.
But there is something exhilarating about the New England humidity finally breaking, and the beauty of foliage lining our roads with a rainbow of earth-tone hues! This is the time to honor Mother Nature’s cooler temperatures and get creative with your closet.
I’ve taken to the art of transition, pairing my seasonal items to make a stylish Fall look. There is no need to go shopping you can reinvent what you already have!
Ideas for the ladies:
- The cardigan – As a wardrobe staple, this versatile item can be worn year round. Wear with your favorite sundress and booties – for a warm Fall look!
- Cool down with color – Tone down bright summer colors such as pink, turquoise and corals by mixing your outfit with more autumnal colors like plum, hunter green and cobalt blue.
A word about white – Did I just say white? Yes I did! Wear this heavenly color year-round! Pair with a cotton sweater and lightweight scarf. You’ll look perfectly put-together!
- Tights – Nothing warms a gal’s legs better than a cozy pair of tights. Today, ladies have options! Jazz up a solid colored dress with a patterned tight or tone down a floral or print dress or skirt with an opaque black pair.
- Don’t box the sandals yet! Straight leg jeans might be a cool weather necessity but I like to keep my look hot with a fun pair of wedge sandals. Don’t forget to get a pedicure! Now’s the time to go for deeper, earthier tones on your toes such as plums and reds.
- Bust out the boots – Taylor Swift is known for pairing flirty sundresses with cowboy boots regardless of the season. Why not wear your favorite sundress with a pair of booties and a denim jacket for instant Fall chic!
- Savor the sleeveless – Adding a pop of color under a suit jacket or sweater is one of the simplest ways to show your personality. Stay away from bulky layers. Opt for fitted colorful tank tops or shells. No need to put this wardrobe necessity away!
For the men:
Unlike women, men have many more articles in their wardrobe that can easily transition through the seasons.
- The T-Shirt – Don’t place these in a bin! Wear crew neck T’s under a cotton or cashmere sweater or pair with a sport coat for a polished look.
- Jeans – What more can I say? Dark washes are more sophisticated for the Fall.
- Don’t shelf your shoes! Leather loafers or tie shoes are season-less! Wear them to the office or out on the town. Be sure to box the boat shoes and sandals for Spring.
“Reinvent new combinations of what you already own. Improvise. Become more creative. Not because you have to, but because you want to. Evolution is the secret for the next step.”― Karl Lagerfeld
Go ahead – get creative – extend summer just a bit longer…. I always do…