Ladies – I have a secret style tip! A secret that will make you happy and save you money in the long run…. Dying to know??? My secret is…. Alterations! Yes – alterations!
You may be thinking, ugh – I am paying enough for my clothes; I don’t want to spend extra on alterations, not to mention I just don’t have time to go! I hear you, I work full-time, am a mom of 2, a wife and a volunteer. To say I have a moment to myself is an overstatement!
So why am I such a fan of my tailor? Here are my 2 favorite insights:
1. Modernization –We all have clothing in our closet that is a bit “dated.” Maybe it’s a suit you wore 5 years ago to that big presentation that’s been hanging in your closet ever since! That suit might have looked fabulous long ago, but today, well it needs a face-lift! Instead of buying a new suit, modernize it.
- My favorite is to take up those long sleeves to ¾ length! Show some skin! Gives the jacket a new fresh look. Removing shoulder pads can help too.
- Hem the skirt – today skirts should sit no more than 1” above the knee (unless you are a teenager!). If the skirt sits mid-calf, it is time to update.
- Adjust the waist – Too tight? Too big? This can be fixed!
- Changing hardware – changing buttons on a jacket and/or skirt/pants is a fun twist to bring that suit into the 21st century.
2. Perfect Fit – O.k. – the truth is I am only 5’2”. This classifies me as “petite.” Well, my thighs are not petite and therefore force me to shop for “regular” size pants. Unless I am buying capri pants, inevitably they will be too long! What is a girl to do? Hem – hem – hem! I hem everything from pants to jeans to skirts and even tops. (Photo: Me having skinny jeans hemmed by Marysia’s Custom Tailoring in Providence)
A tip on tops: For most of us, our tendency is to hide our hips with long tops. In reality, this actually accentuates your hips and draws they eye to that area! Have your shirt sit on your hip to elongate your leg and draw attention away from the thighs.
I know this topic is not on everyone’s radar but is my one of my favorite styling tricks. Anytime I am in a client’s closet, we always start a pile just for hemming. Why shop for new if the garment looks good it just needs a little updating? I am telling you, this is almost always money well spent.
Create a wardrobe that suits your lifestyle today. It just takes a needle and some thread.
So stop “hem”ming and hawing…