Do you have a favorite summer work dress? Is it in a color or style that flatters your silhouette? I have a couple of those dresses in my wardrobe. I am NEVER ready to take these pieces out of commission to prepare my wardrobe for the impending colder months.
Alas! You do not have to say goodbye so soon. For years, I have been cleverly “transitioning” my wardrobe from season to season.
Here are five tips to extending your professional wardrobe from summer to fall:
- Deepen the Tone – Summer time is all about light or bright colors. If your summer dress is a bright color (see example above) – for Fall pair it with deeper hues. Use Autumn leaves as your inspiration! Want to really be fashion-forward, check out Pantone’s Fall 2015 colors and then do some pairing.
- Switch to Autumn Accents – Put the whimsical lemon yellow necklace away and opt for more earthy or darker tones. Pair summer frocks with oranges, rust and mustard yellows to bring new life to a summer staple. Change your shoe from the sexy floral sling-back to an alluring navy patent leather pump.
- It’s in the BAG – Unless you are heading to a fun party, put the sassy woven purses away for summer and anchor your look with a more structured bag.
- Speaking of In-the-BAG – Shift some colors in your cosmetics bag too. Trade in your hot pink lipstick for magenta, your bright peach/corals for copper tones. Note: Autumn is about a more subdued natural look. If you don’t want to give up your sassy summer lip shades, try adding a darker lipgloss to tone the color down. For shadows go from grays to navy, metallic bronze to matte browns, light pink to cranberry.
- Talking Tights – If we are talking summer transition, then there is no easier or more popular conversation item than a great pair of opaque tights. For the office, opt for solid colors or minimal designs. Tights should complement your outfit not draw attention to one particular focal point. The goal is for our colleagues to focus on our faces and what we have to say, not the loud paisley designs cascading down your legs!
Feel better? Good. Your professional wardrobe does not have to shift with each passing season. Don’t say good-bye to your summer favorites so soon! A few accessory and color tweaks are all you need to trick your co-workers into thinking your have a new Fall wardrobe!
I would love to hear and see your summer or any season transition tips! Please comment below or post images on my Shorr Style Facebook page.