“The only rule is don’t be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in.” Paris Hilton
I love the concept of this statement. Now, for a woman 30+, this does not mean wear frilly cocktail dresses to the supermarket. It means, dress each day as if you were going to a special luncheon or event. Put aside the comfy sweats and yoga pants and slip on those fabulous jeans, sweater and stylish shoes. Don’t forget to accessorize!
“Accessories are everything. To me, they’re more important than the clothes.” Rachel Zoe
Accessories are magical. A simple statement necklace can turn a plain top into an elegant look or a day outfit into a sexy ensemble ready to hit the town. Accessories are not just necklaces and earrings. They can be any accent to an outfit – shoes, scarves, handbags and hairpieces. This is a great way to add a little “you” into each outfit. Which by the way is always the goal – to infuse your personality into each look.
So what are some fun tips to turn simple into sexy – plain into powerful – average into authentic? Try some of these ideas:
1. Dress up denim: Take a conservative pin-stripe shirt, pair it with some dark wash jeans, add a pop of color with a fun necklace and stunning shoes and Pow!
2. Day to night: A simple cardigan and ballet flats can transform an evening outfit into one fit for the office. After hours? Toss the cardigan, add some hot heels, dangle earrings, a sensational handbag and voila – instant glam!
3. The scarf: Just because Julia (Deborah Messing) from Smash! has ceased wearing scarves this season, does not mean you should too! On the contrary! This wondrous wave of color transforms a basic white t-shirt (a must-have wardrobe staple!) and ultimately your entire look.
4. Shoes, glorious shoes!: What more can I say, other than diamonds, these are a girl’s best friend and asset! A great pair of nude heels can elongate your leg – what girl doesn’t want that? Put on a black pencil skirt, white blouse and add a pop of color with red pumps – you are sending the message “Here I am!”
5. 50 Shades of Green?: Yes ladies, I said “green” not Grey! Pantone, the global authority on color, announced that emerald green is the 2013 Fashion color of the year. But can everyone wear emerald green? Maybe not, but be flexible! If you are fair skinned emerald green might look great or try a pastel or mint green. Olive skin like me? Try an evergreen color. I love my emerald green jeans! Here they are in action while I work in a client’s closet! So fun!
So go back to your wardrobes and drawers and start pairing your shoes, jewelry, handbags and hairpieces with the clothes in your closet. What happens to your lack of confidence when you start reworking your wardrobe? Poof – it disappears……